Friday, January 6, 2012

What the hull?

Here's my first actual work in progress post. I've started to work on the hull and it might even be a few weeks before I can glue the two halves together because of all the work I need to do.
So far only worked on one half of the hull. Here's what I've done so far:
- drilled out all the portholes (nearly 500 per side) The Dremel rotary tool wasn't very accurate so I ended up using a pin vise and doing them by hand.
- opened up the windows on the main deck near the stern (tourist class promenade)
- cut off the railings molded onto the hull
- sanded off all the molded on rivets (these were way out of scale)
- removed the propeller shaft assemblies and filled the gaps with styrene and putty (these were totally wrong and will be rebuilt from styrene)
- filled all the windows on the promenade deck (I was thinking of just opening these up, but they are two part windows with a smaller upper section and there was no way to model that in an open position. I will make decals to simulate windows)
- smoothed out some dimples in the bottom of the hull with putty

My next steps will be to scratchbuild propeller shafts and make promenade deck decals. Of course I haven't even started to modify the other half of the hull yet.

Also on the to do list is how I'm going to mount the model. I have a nice mahogany base and need to find some brass stands or finials.

No comments:

Post a Comment